|CITY OF SOUTH BEND - COUNCIL MEETING - May 14, 2018|
|1-2. CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE|
The council meeting was called to order by Mayor Struck at 5:30 pm followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. Members present: Councilor Buchanan, Councilor Williams, Councilor Neve, Councilor Davis, Councilor Little, Police Chief Eastham, City Supervisor Houk, Assistant Fire Chief McGee and Deputy Clerk/Treasurer Porter.
|3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA, CONSENT AGENDA, AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES|
A motion was made by Councilor Neve to approve the Agenda, Consent Agenda and the minutes of the April 23, 2018 regular meeting. The motion was seconded by Councilor Davis. Vote: Ayes-5, Noes-0, Absent-0
Vendors – Check #44050 thru Check #44103 - $89,729.24
Payroll - Check #24427 thru Check #24440 - $94,673.89 including Direct Deposit
|5. PUBLIC HEARING @ 5:31 PM – COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT (CDBG) FUNDING FOR 4TH STREET RECONSTRUCTION|
Mayor Struck opened the public hearing at 5:31 pm. Mayor Struck explained that the funding request is to reconstruct 4th Street from Pacific Avenue to Willapa Avenue with a new sidewalk along with replacing the water main. Mayor Struck noted that there were CDBG handouts in the back of the room – in English and Spanish. There was also a Spanish interpreter available if needed for the public hearing. There were no public comments and the public hearing was closed at 5:32 pm.
|6. RESOLUTION WITH CERTIFICATIONS OF COMPLIANCE (ACTION)|
Mayor Struck explained that this allows her to sign the necessary paperwork to apply for the CDBG grant for up to $750,000 with zero match for the 4th Street Reconstruction Project. Councilor Williams made a motion allowing Mayor Struck to sign the necessary paperwork as needed to apply for the CDGB grant. The motion was seconded by Councilor Neve. Vote: Ayes-5, Noes-0, Absent-0
|7. ITEMS FROM THE PUBLIC|
|8. ORDINANCE #1532 – AMENDING, REPEALING AND ADDING PORTIONS OF TITLE 15 UNIFIED DEVELOPMENT CODE AND TITLE 16 ZONING OF THE SOUTH BEND MUNICIPAL CODE (SECOND READING)|
Councilor Neve made a motion to accept Ordinance #1532 – Amending, Repealing and adding potions of Title 15 Unified Development Code and Title 16 Zoning of the South Bend Municipal Code. The motion was seconded by Councilor Little.
During discussion Councilor Buchanan advised that he would like to postpone until he can look into going from 9 classifications to only 3. Mayor Struck and City Supervisor Houk explained that the Planning Commission has been working on this ordinance for almost a year. They have had numerous meetings and public hearings.
Vote: Ayes-4, Noes-1, Absent-0
|9. DEPARTMENT HEAD REPORTS|
Police Chief Eastham apologized for running late. He was dealing with a public nuisance.
|10. MAYOR’S REPORT|
- Mayor Struck advised that City Hall and Fire Hall had to have some repair work done on the weathered side of the buildings costing approximately $14,000.
- Mayor Struck informed the council that the city will be 150 years old next year, to start thinking of some ideas that the city could do.
|11. COUNCIL COMMENTS|
- Councilor Buchanan advised that he had gotten some complaints about the mess at the recycle bins and went to the County. The County put gravel around the bins and cleaned it up.
- Councilor Buchanan advised that the public restroom floors located at Summit has chips in the floor.
- Councilor Williams told Kim “Happy Birthday”.
- Councilor Neve told Kim “Happy Birthday”.
- Councilor Neve asked if any letters have been sent out regarding derelict buildings. She was advised that none have been.
- Councilor Neve advised that she had been approached about taxes and what can be done.
- Councilor Davis asked when we start the budget. Mayor Struck advised in September.
- Councilor Davis told Kim “Happy Birthday”.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:51 PM to meet again at 5:30 PM on Wednesday, May 30, 2018 for the next regularly scheduled meeting at South Bend City Hall.