|CITY OF SOUTH BEND - COUNCIL MEETING - September 25, 2017|
|1-2. CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
The council meeting was called to order by Mayor Struck at 5:30 pm followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. Members present: Councilor Kuiken, Councilor Williams, Councilor Neve, Councilor Webber, Police Chief Eastham, City Supervisor Houk and Clerk/Treasurer Roberts. Councilor Hall was absent (excused).
|3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA, CONSENT AGENDA, AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES
A motion was made by Councilor Neve to approve the Agenda, Consent Agenda and the minutes of the September 11, 2017 regular meeting. The motion was seconded by Councilor Kuiken. Vote: Ayes-4, Noes-0, Absent-1
Vendors – Check #43366 thru Check #43398 - $218,000.44
|6. DEPARTMENT HEAD REPORTS
- Police Chief Eastham gave a brief update of the happenings in his department since the last council meeting.
- City Supervisor Houk reported on the transmission line break on Highway 105 that happened on September 13, 2017. Approximately 100 Baleville residents lost water service for most of the afternoon and evening but the crew work exceptionally hard to get them back on line. Because the line lost pressure the Department of Health issued a boil water advisory for all Baleville residents which was lifted after two days – one day earlier than expected. City Supervisor Houk recognized his crew as well as the office staff for all of their hard work during that time. City Supervisor Houk also thanked the City of Raymond for providing the city with water while the crew got everything put back together.
- Clerk/Treasurer Roberts mentioned that she had just returned from the Oregon Association of Municipal Recorders Conference which was held in Newport, Oregon. She noted that it was a good conference and the weather wasn’t too bad either.
- Mayor Struck noted that there is an opening on the planning commission if anyone knew of someone that might be interested.
- Mayor Struck reminded everyone that there will be a candidate’s forum on October 5th starting at 6pm. It will be held at the Willapa Harbor Chamber of Commerce building (916 W First Street, South Bend). This will be for the North Pacific County candidates only.
- Councilor Webber noted it was good to see a room full of people. Please keep coming to the meetings!
- Councilor Neve agreed with Councilor Webber that she was also glad to see such a good turnout, but would like to see more! She also pointed out that she would really like to see the Hispanic community attend the council meetings.
- Councilor Neve encouraged everyone to attend the candidate’s forum that Mayor Struck mentioned as well.
- Councilor Kuiken has noticed how nice several of the roads are now that the some of the city’s potholes have been filled. It has really made a difference. The company [Naselle Rock & Asphalt] did a very nice job.
|9. EXECUTIVE SESSION – POTENTIAL LITIGATION
Prior to adjourning to Executive Session Mayor Struck advised that no decisions would be made. Mayor Struck called the Executive Session to order at 5:43 PM for 15 minutes for the purpose of potential litigation. Councilor Kuiken, Councilor Williams, Councilor Neve, Councilor Webber, City Supervisor Houk, Police Chief Eastham and Clerk/Treasurer Roberts were in attendance. Michael Tierney (Tierney & Correa, P.C.) attended via telephone.
Mayor Struck reconvened the meeting at 6:02 pm.
Executive sessions are done in accordance with RCW 42.30.080
The meeting was adjourned at 6:02 PM to meet again at 5:30 PM on Monday, October 9, 2017 for the next regularly scheduled meeting at South Bend City Hall.