|CITY OF SOUTH BEND - COUNCIL MEETING - October 9, 2017|
|1-2. CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
The council meeting was called to order by Mayor Struck at 5:30 pm followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. Members present: Councilor Kuiken, Councilor Williams, Councilor Neve, Councilor Hall, Officer Jo, City Supervisor Houk and Clerk/Treasurer Roberts. Councilor Webber (excused) and Police Chief Eastham were absent.
|3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA, CONSENT AGENDA, AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES
A motion was made by Councilor Neve to approve the Agenda, Consent Agenda and the minutes of the September 25, 2017 regular meeting. The motion was seconded by Councilor Kuiken. Vote: Ayes-4, Noes-0, Absent-1
Vendors – Check #43399 thru Check #43449 - $78,307.08
Payroll - Check #24324 thru Check #24337 - $99,425.68 Including Direct Deposit
Citizen Daryle Buchanan mentioned that he attended the Department of Ecology meeting that was held on October 7, 2017 at the South Bend High School.
|6. DEPARTMENT HEAD REPORTS
- City Supervisor Houk announced that the city’s new garbage truck has been delivered but will not be put into service until sometime in November. Brochures will be going out in the mail to all garbage customers with information about the new truck and the new processes & procedures it will entail including information about the new carts, place of the carts, etc. This information will also be added to our website and to the city’s Facebook page.
- Councilor Hall asked City Supervisor Houk who the big group was that was gathered at the half bridge today (Highway 101 near 702 W. Robert Bush Drive). City Supervisor Houk explained that it was the Washington State Department of Transportation and they were discussing the 2018 overlay project on Highway 101 through South Bend. There are other things involved with the overlay project including the updating of the city’s ADA ramps. Most of the ADA ramps in South Bend are not ADA compliant so those will be brought up-to-date during that time at DOT’s expense. City Supervisor Houk noted that the only expense the city will incur during this overlay project will be the cost of the manhole lids and risers.
- Mayor Struck explained that she was part of the ground breaking ceremony at the Cheney Park Baseball Field on Thursday, October 5, 2017. Everyone agreed that this will be a huge asset for the City of South Bend.
- Mayor Struck reminded everyone that there will be a budget workshop on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 5:00pm. Mayor Struck also reminded the audience that it is a workshop for the council and staff and no public comment or input will be taken during the workshop.
- Councilor Kuiken is glad that the new garbage truck is here!
- Councilor Williams also agreed that it is great the city has taken possession of the new garbage truck, but he also knows that placement of the carts will be a challenge.
- Councilor Williams attended the Weyerhaeuser Sawmill tour on October 6th. He noted that it was very impressive to see and it was also nice to see the South Bend High School construction class there for a tour as well.
- Councilor Williams reported that Brad Cheney personally purchased all of the uniforms for the South Bend High School fast pitch and softball teams. Councilor Williams also mentioned that at some point there will be concession stands and a possible update to the bathrooms, but right now the concentration is on completing the field. Councilor Kuiken noted that the South Bend Booster Club will continue to do concessions under the covered picnic area like they have in the past for now.
- Councilor Neve also participated in the Weyerhaeuser Sawmill tour. As was conveyed to her during the tour – People are not throw aways and as automation takes over those employees will have a place in the company.
- Councilor Neve is also happy about the new garbage truck!
- Councilor Neve noted that the Candidates Forum on Friday, October 6th was interesting.
- Councilor Hall spoke briefly about the EMS Levy and the purchase of a new rescue vehicle by Naselle Fire and Rescue.
- Councilor Hall announced that he will not be at the October 23, 2017 council meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:50 PM to meet again at 5:00 PM on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 for a budget workshop at South Bend City Hall.