|CITY OF SOUTH BEND - COUNCIL MEETING - March 14, 2016
|1-2. CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
The council meeting was called to order by Mayor Struck at 5:30 pm followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. Members present: Councilor Olsen, Councilor Williams, Councilor Neve, Councilor Hall, Police Chief Eastham, City Supervisor Houk, and Deputy Clerk/Treasurer Porter. Councilor Webber and Clerk/Treasurer Roberts were absent.
|3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA, CONSENT AGENDA, AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES
A motion was made by Councilor Neve to approve the Agenda, Consent Agenda and the minutes of the February 22, 2016 regular meeting. The motion was seconded by Councilor Olsen. Vote: Ayes-4, Noes-0, Absent-1
Vendors – Check #41813 thru Check #41866 - $83,911.22
Payroll – Check #24001 thru Check #24016 - $92,098.66 Including Direct Deposit
- Citizen Margaret Payne asked about the crosswalks being repainted on Robert Bush Dr. They are looking a little faded. City Supervisor Houk advised that he would advise the Department of Transportation.
- Citizen Greg Hinz whom is also involved with Alliance for a Better Community (ABC) a nonprofit organization asked for the council’s permission to build a small sports complex at Cheney Park. He advised that he has gotten the owner’s permission from the piece of property located behind the park to expand. Mr. Hinz advised if he gets the council’s permission then the Cheney Foundation can put in for a startup plan grant. Mayor Struck advised that she would like to table further discussion to the next council meeting.
|6. FIRST STREET/SCHOOL TRAFFIC REVISION
A motion was made by Councilor Neve to approve the First Street/School Traffic Revision to make E. First Street one way from Jefferson Street to Monroe Street (northbound) and reconfigure the traffic flow in that area. The motion was seconded by Councilor Williams.
During discussion Police Chief Eastham advised that the South Bend School District will pay for the crosswalks and lines to be repainted for parking. Vote: Ayes-4, Noes-1 (Councilor Olsen), Absent-1
|7. RESOLUTION #2016-01 DEVELOPMENT FEE SCHEDULE
A motion was made by Councilor Williams to approve Resolution #2016-01 Development Fee Schedule. The motion was seconded by Councilor Neve. Vote: Ayes-4, Noes-0, Absent-1
|8. DEPARTMENT HEAD REPORTS
- Police Chief Eastham reported that they had made 5 arrests since the last council meeting involving drug busts and burglaries. One arrest had 23.8 grams of methamphetamine and $650.00 in cash along with other drug related items. Two suspects that were arrested who burglarized the school were the same ones who burglarized in 2014. Police Chief Eastham gave kudos to the K-9 and his other officers.
- City Supervisor Houk reported that the drainage issue on Kendrick and First Street was completed and seemed to be working good.
- City Supervisor Houk reported that the crew had installed a new hydrant at 4th and Willapa. This replaced a hydrant that was no longer working by Willapa Landing Apartments.
- Councilor Hall advised it was nice to see more volunteers at the fire department. Councilor Williams advised that it went from about 21 guys to 33 or 34.
- Councilor Neve advised that the Kiwanis Chili Cook off was great. The winner was 4-H Group.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:23 PM to meet again at 5:30 PM on Monday, March 28, 2016 for the next regularly scheduled meeting at South Bend City Hall.