|CITY OF SOUTH BEND - COUNCIL MEETING - January 9, 2017|
|1-2. CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE|
The council meeting was called to order by Mayor Struck at 5:30 pm followed by the Pledge of Allegiance. Members present: Councilor Kuiken, Councilor Williams, Councilor Neve, City Supervisor Houk, Police Chief Eastham, City Attorney William Penoyar and Clerk/Treasurer Roberts.
|3. APPROVAL OF AGENDA, CONSENT AGENDA, AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES|
A motion was made by Councilor Neve to approve the Agenda, the Consent Agenda and the minutes of the December 12, 2016 regular meeting. The motion was seconded by Councilor Williams. Vote: Ayes-3, Noes-0, Absent-2
Vendors - Check #42605 thru Check #42702 - $450,078.29
Payroll - Check #24162 thru Check #24199 including Direct Deposit - $112,034.15
|5. PLANNING COMMISSION APPOINTMENT|
Mayor Struck announced that she had appointed South Bend Citizen Rick Meyer to the planning commission and she respectfully requested confirmation from the council. Councilor Williams made a motion confirming Citizen Rick Meyer to the planning commission. The motion was seconded by Councilor Neve. strong>Vote: Ayes-3, Noes-0, Absent-2
|6. ITEMS FROM THE PUBLIC|
|7. DEPARTMENT HEAD REPORTS|
- Police Chief Eastham gave a brief overview of the happenings in his department since the last council meeting. He noted that the holiday season was fairly slow with only four domestics.
Police Chief Eastham noted that there will be civil service testing on Tuesday, January 9th and oral boards on Wednesday, January 18th. Hopefully his department will be fully staffed within the next few months. There are a total of six entry level applicants and one lateral applicant.
Officer Luis Gonzalez will graduate from the police academy on March 22nd. He is doing well and getting very good grades.
- City Supervisor Houk explained that the crew discovered a water leak at Minnesota and Monroe that had been leaking into a storm drain for a very long time. Because it was leaking into a storm drain it was not detected until the ground shifted enough for it to start bubbling up to the surface. He showed the council a rock that had a large divot worn into it from the constant flow of water. It was estimated that it was leaking approximately a million gallons of water a month.
- Clerk/Treasurer Roberts announced that the exit conference with the State Auditor will be January 11th at 3pm. If anyone plans to attend she requested that they let her know in case there might be a quorum. She briefly went over the few things that the auditor felt should be corrected, most of which were general housekeeping items. Overall it was a very clean audit.
|8. MAYOR’S REPORT|
- Mayor Struck welcomed new councilor Wyatt Kuiken. Everyone agreed he will be a great addition to the council.
- Mayor Struck noted that the city currently has two projects in the works, the Water Treatment Plant Upgrade and the Fliess Creek Water Source Project. Both of which will require outside funding.
|9. COUNCIL COMMENTS|
Councilor Kuiken noted that Tim McGee from public works called him first thing that morning to see if there was anything that he needed as far as the roads were concerned. (It had snowed overnight and the roads were slick) Councilor Kuiken appreciated it very much. City Supervisor Houk advised he would pass it on to the crew.
|10. EXECUTIVE SESSION – POTENTIAL LITIGATION & LABOR NEGOTIATIONS|
Prior to adjourning to Executive Session Mayor Struck advised that no decisions would be made. Mayor Struck called the Executive Session to order at 5:40 PM for 20 minutes for the purpose of potential litigation and labor negotiations. Councilor Kuiken, Councilor Williams, Councilor Neve, City Supervisor Houk and Clerk/Treasurer Roberts were in attendance. Also in attendance was city attorney William Penoyar.
Mayor Struck reconvened the meeting at 6:01 pm.
Executive sessions are done in accordance with RCW 42.30.080
The meeting was adjourned at 6:01 PM to meet again at 5:30 PM on Monday, January 23, 2017 for the next regularly scheduled meeting at South Bend City Hall.