The City of South Bend Planning Commission will hold a public hearing at 5:30 PM on Tuesday, June 28, 2016, in the South Bend City Hall Council Chambers, 1102 West First Street, for receiving public comment on the proposed adoption of an update to the Critical Areas Ordinance, Chapter 14.15 of the South Bend Municipal Code. The purpose of this update is to bring the city’s SMP in compliance with required changes under Chapter 365-190 WAC and integration with the draft Shoreline Master Program.
The updated contains the following changes:
- Definitions: Provides new definitions for water types;
- General Provisions: Requirements for mitigation plans;
- Wetlands: Adoption of new best available science and required contents for technical reports;
- Geologically hazardous areas: Expanded contents for technical reports
- Fish and wildlife habitat conservation areas: Requirements for protection of riparian vegetation, revisions to buffer requirements; new allowances for buffer averaging;
- Frequently flooded areas: Adoption of new best available science; and
- Minor grammatical changes and reordering of subsections.
Copies of the proposed Critical Areas Ordinance update are available for public review during normal working hours at the South Bend City Hall and the South Bend City Library. An on-line copy, as well as background information, is available HERE.
Any person wishing to speak for or against this proposal is welcome to attend the public hearing, or may submit written comments by delivering them before 4:00 p.m., June 28, 2016 to the South Bend City Hall, 1102 W. First Street, PO Drawer 9, South Bend, WA 98586.
Call Kim Porter, (360) 875-5571, at the South Bend City Hall for questions regarding the proposed SMP update or the public hearing.