The City of South Bend Planning Commission will hold a public hearing at 6:00 PM on Monday, May 16, 2016, in the South Bend City Hall Council Chambers, 1102 West First Street, for receiving public comment on the proposed adoption of an update to the Shoreline Master Program (SMP).
The purpose of this update is to bring the city’s SMP in compliance with required changes under Chapter 90.58 RCW and Chapter 173-26 WAC.
The updated SMP contains the following chapters:
- Introductory Provisions: Explains the purpose and intent of the SMP and its relationship to other plans and regulations.
- Shoreline Jurisdiction and Environment Designation: Describes where the SMP applies and identifies policies and uses for the proposed Aquatic, City Waterfront, and Urban Conservancy Environment Designations.
- General Provisions for all Environments: Sets goals, policies, and regulations for archaeology and historic preservation, existing development, flood hazard reduction, public access, setbacks and heights, shorelines of statewide significance, and water quality and quantity that apply to all Environment Designations.
- Shoreline Uses: Sets goals, policies, and regulations for shoreline development and activities related to agriculture, aquaculture, boating facilities, commercial development, forest practices, industrial development, instream structures, recreational development, residential development, transportation and parking development, and utilities. New shoreline uses may locate in some Environment Designations but not others.
- Shoreline Modifications: Sets goals, policies, and regulations for physical changes to the shoreline that support shoreline uses. Shoreline modifications include dredging and dredge material disposal, fill and grading, docks, piers, floats and boat launches, shoreline habitat natural system enhancement projects, and shoreline stabilization.
- Permit Procedures and Enforcement: Establishes administrative procedures for permitting development and activities along the shoreline.
- Master Program Amendments: Establishes requirements and procedures for review and amendments of the SMP.
- Definitions: Provides definitions for words and phrases used in the SMP.
Copies of the proposed SMP update are available for public review during normal working hours at the South Bend City Hall and the South Bend City Library. An on-line copy, as well as background information, is available HERE.
Any person wishing to speak for or against this proposal is welcome to attend the public hearing, or may submit written comments by delivering them before 4:00 p.m., May 16, 2016 to the South Bend City Hall, 1102 W. First Street, PO Drawer 9, South Bend, WA 98586.
Call Kim Porter, (360) 875-5571, at the South Bend City Hall for questions regarding the proposed SMP update or the public hearing.