Frequently Asked Questions - Concealed Pistol License (CPL)

FAQs - Concealed Pistol License (CPL)

RCW 9.41.050 requires you to have a Concealed Pistol License when:

  • You are carrying a pistol concealed on your person or,
  • You are carrying or placing a loaded pistol in a vehicle.

First download and complete the CPL Application then:

  • If you live within the incorporated area of South Bend you must apply in person at the South Bend Police Department.
  • If you live in an unincorporated area in Pacific County, you must apply in person at the Pacific County Sheriff’s Office in South Bend.
  • Non-Washington residents may apply at any local law enforcement agency in Washington State.

Application hours are from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM weekdays excluding holidays.

Concealed Pistol License fees are listed below. Please note that all fees are non-refundable.

  • $52.50 for an original application
  • $32.00 for a renewal (up to 90 days PRIOR to expiration)
  • $42.00 for late renewal (up to 90 days AFTER expiration)
  • $10.00 for a replacement

Payments can be made using cash, check or money order made payable to the South Bend Police Department. We do not accept debit/credit cards. All payments must be made in person at the police department in South Bend at the time of application.

For all applications, you will need to bring picture identification (i.e. Washington driver’s license or ID card). For a renewal or late renewal, please bring your current Concealed Pistol License in addition to your picture ID.

Yes. The following requirements must be met:

  • Resident of Pacific County or a Non-Washington resident.
  • 21 years of age or older at time of application.
  • United States citizen or have an alien firearms license issued by the State of Washington Department of Licensing in Olympia; their phone number is
    (360) 664-6616
  • No pending trial, appeal or sentencing on a prohibitive charge.
  • No outstanding warrants for any charge, from any court.
  • No court order or injunction against possessing a firearm
  • No mental health prohibitors
  • No felony convictions
  • No convictions for any of the following crimes when committed by one family member against another on or after July 1, 1993:
  • Assault
  • Coercion
  • Stalking
  • Reckless Endangerment
  • Criminal Trespass in the first degree
  • Violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from the residence

Yes, a criminal history background check will be conducted before your Concealed Pistol License is issued.

If you are submitting an original application, you must be fingerprinted before your Concealed Pistol License is issued. You are not required to be re-printed if you are submitting an application for a renewal, late renewal, or replacement license. Fingerprinting is by appointment only by calling 360-875-5444, Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, excluding holidays

If you are applying for your first Concealed Pistol License, it may take up to 30 days to complete the background check before the license is issued. Otherwise you can expect your licensed to be mailed to you within a week.

Your Concealed Pistol License is valid for five years from the date your license is issued. You will not receive a renewal notice and it is your responsibility to ensure your license has not expired.

If your Concealed Pistol License expired more than 90 days ago and you wish to renew, your application will be processed as an original application, NOT a late renewal. You will need to be fingerprinted, and the fee will be a non-refundable sum of $55.25. Be sure to check “Original Application”, NOT “Late Renewal” of license on the Concealed Pistol License application.

If your Concealed Pistol License has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, you may obtain a replacement license. Fill out the Concealed Pistol License application and check “Replacement License” on the form. Please be sure to bring picture identification (i.e. Washington driver’s license or ID card). The fee for a replacement license is $10.00. The expiration date will remain the same as it was on your original license.

Washington has reciprocity or accepts Concealed Pistol Licenses issued by a number of other states, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law. The Washington State Attorney General’s website provides a list of those states that have reciprocity with Washington for Concealed Pistol Licenses.

If you would like to obtain more information pertaining to state firearms law, please call or write the Department of Licensing in Olympia:

Department of Licensing
Firearm Unit
P.O. Box 9469
Olympia, WA 98504-9649
(360) 664-6616


For questions regarding federal law pertaining to firearms, or if you would like to obtain a copy of Federal Firearms Regulations, please write or call:

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)
915 2nd Ave, Room 790
Seattle, WA 98174
(206) 389-6800